In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Sunday, October 10, 2004

What is up with this world...

Here are a few things that are happening around the world these days....

The second presidential debate happened yesterday... and it is all over the news today. A New York Times article read like this -:

"An Associated Press survey published Friday, just before the debate, showed Mr. Kerry leading Mr. Bush 50 percent to 46 percent, reversing Mr. Bush's 52 percent to 45 percent lead from two weeks before. The margin of error was three percentage points. Time magazine has the two deadlocked at 45 percent, with Mr. Bush having lost a six-point lead, and Mr. Kerry with a strong advantage among women."

Now personally, I dont have any love lost for Bush. I think the war is Iraq was stupid and unnecessary and that his stand on the same is questionable. But then I dont like the way Kerry 'changes his mind' on things.. I mean at the start of his campaign, his first ads on television talked about how under the Bush regime American jobs are being outsourced to other countries. In yesterday's debate Mr. Kerry says that outsourcing cannot be stopped. Dude make up your mind... Its a no-win situation actually. I dont like Bush and I dont think Kerry would ever be able to make up his mind.. Man Clinton was so much better :)....

Another thing that was all over the news (on which Conan had an amazingly funny segment on The Late Show, last night) is Martha Stewart going to jail. One thing I like about America... They can impeach their Presidents for lying under oath and they can send their celebrities to jail.. I wonder when would Salman Khan be tried for hunting an endangered animal... Will Laloo ever pay for the fodder scam????

The oil prices just keep on climbing. They've now crossed $53 per barrel which is an all time time... Thank god I dont have a car right now.. Man when I came here 2 years ago, the gas used to be $1.30... Its now $1.94... So much for the argument that the war on Iraq was all because of the oil... ;)

Afghanistan had their presidential elections today after 22 years of war.... I really wish that country some peace... They deserve it...

Another place that is gearing up for elections is my home state (yes it is my home state, cuz I was born in Bombay and am an unofficial Puneite :)) Maharashtra... Wonder how Sharad Pawar and co. would do against the tiger (personally, I think hez no tiger) with failing health... Would Sena/BJP be able to come back to power... I think not.. But I wouldnt want to predict anything... Going by how elections have been going these days, anything could happen...

The Twins lost :(..... yeah i know i know.. most of u would go, Twins who... The Minnesota Twins.. get it.. they play baseball and were playing the playoffs against the Yankees (my second favourite team..) and lost about 30 minutes ago... I was watching the game... Damn they were leading 5-1 till the 8th innings... Talk about chokers... (what say you AT??)

Talking about chokers... how about our esteemed cricket team... Ok so they were set a target of more than 450... But there is a dignified way of losing and there is a way of losing your dignity.. These guys are just doing the latter.. The best batting lineup in the world on paper.... They keep disappointing dont they... Last season they played so well, I was like... Finally we have reached a place where we can safely say that we arent chokers.... Take the Pakistan series as a case in point... But what the hell... look at their record this season... They are back to being the India of the old.... To be fair to them though... The umpiring standards in this test atleast were really really questionable... I havent had the benefit of watching most of the questionable dismissals... But I did see the one that was not given.. Michael Clarke on 92 facing an Anil Kumble flipper takes one on the front pad right in front of the wicket... and Bowden shakes his head... I mean... come on... and this just keeps happening with India doesnt it... I would be the last one to attribute our teams bad performace to bad umpiring.. But then time and again, we just are handed out the most worthless decisions ever... Oh well.. lets hope for the best for the rest of the series....

Looks like Taiwan has gotten itself the world's tallest building.... The Taipei 101 tower has been officially certified as being the tallest building in the world.. Its a whopping 508 meters high.. Thats more than half a freaking kilometer... According to this site there is speculation that India might be the site for the world's tallest building.. Any guesses how long that might take ;)....

Closer home... Everyone here in Duluth (read: Ajit, Nag and Anoop) is talking about the fall.... Now I dont want to add my bit here except that I dread fall becuz it tells me that winter is coming and damn do I hate the cold.... Besides that... the insomnia continues unabated... The cricket match doesnt help much (but then I know its just an excuse, I'd stay up anyways)... thesis is just going along.. 'the dude' wants me to write another piece of code... life goes on....

My lyrics for today....

But I'm in so deep. You know I'm such a fool for you.
You got me wrapped around your finger,
Do you have to let it linger? Do you have to, do you have to,
Do you have to let it linger?

Cranberries - Linger

|