In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Singin' out LOUD!

I was reading pompy's blog and somewhere between the headphones and the bus, it reminded me of something that happened a couple of years back.. It was embarassing but out and out hillarious... Well, for our last semester in BIT we had to do a full time project and I was working for this company in Okhla (10 bucks to anyone who can find out the name of the company ;))... I used to take this chartered bus from my place to there and it was a good long 1 1/2 hr bus ride :(... But that was not the worst part.. the bus driver dude, had this one tape - I found out later that it was of the Akshay Kumar, Karishma Kapoor movie 'Haan Maine Bhi Pyaar Kiya' - and he used to play that over and over again and boy did he bug the hell out of me.. damn I hated those songs.. Well, one fine day, while coming back from office, I have my walkman and I'm wearing out the GNR live era tape 2 side B songs 1-4 as usual (for the uninformed, those songs were, Sweet Child of Mine, Knocking on Heaven's Door, Dont Cry and Estranged) :) and the bus driver is playing his stupid music as usual... Now I have this bad habit of singing along (more like croaking along ;)) with the songs that I really like and I'm doing the same... After a while I realize that everyone in the bus (I was sitting on the last seat) is staring at me... So I pause the tape and lo and behold the bus tape is off.. and everyone till the cleaner of the bus could hear me trying to emulate Axl singing Knocking on Heavens Door :D... Thankfully though my bus stop was near and the minute I got off the bus I couldnt stop laughing like crazy..... Well the same thing happened a few weeks ago.. Just that the scene was the grad lab.. and the audience as it turns out was Ted's group meeting and Lori and Linda ;).. The song was the same... Moral of the stories: Play GNR music on speakers, not headphones :)..

Well this blast from the past made me think of the songs that I really really love to sing out loud.. Here's my top 5 singin' out loud songs (WHEN U ARE ALONE IN UR ROOM/CAR!!!) of all times (ala John Cusack in High Fidelity, where he is making a top 5 list of everything, including the top 5 breakups of all times ;))...

5. Chumbawumba - Tubthumping . I havent met one person who wud not want to shout this song out loud.. They may be one hit wonders but man this song is so much fun to sing out loud.

4. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Free Falling. I used to do the same thing that Tom Cruise does in Jerry Maguire, soooo much.. Even before I saw the movie.. Its so awesome when he goes 'And I'm freeeeeee.. free falling'

3. AC/DC - Shook Me All Night Long. Need I say much about this one.. Anyone whoz ever heard it would wanna sing it out at the top of their voices...

2. GNR - Knocking on Heaven's Doors (The Live Era Version). My nemesis.. But a mind blowing song none the less.. I sing this when I'm happy or just really really pissed off.. I love it when Axl goes, 'We got one more time to go, lets make this one reach the heavens'...

1. Pearl Jam - Black . One of my most favourite songs.. Its not much of a shout out loud song but the part which is gonna be the lyrics of the day, is the one which makes me wanna sing (and sing loud) this one over and over and over again... I cannot describe in words what this song means to me..

Honorable Mention: When I was 16 I used to listen to MLTR :)... Their song 'Someday' was one of the firsts of the above mentioned category for me and hence deserved a mention.

P.S. - I didnt put Bryan Adams - Summer of 69' in there because I'd anyday headbang to that then sing it out loud :)...

my lyrics for today:

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life.
I know you'd be a sun,
in somebody else's sky,
but why, why, whyyyyyyyyyyyyy
cant it be, oh cant it be,
mine...

Pearl Jam - Black (from the album Ten)

|