In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Monday, October 25, 2004

Subway: Are we choosing well?

Our (Ajit's and mine) Sunday dinner always ends up being a Subway sub because of the Sunday making of chicken in the house. I really really like Subway (even though I absolutely adore Quizno's ;)) and have it anytime I possibly can.. I am also impressed with their 'Choose Well' ad campaign... However, I wasnt really sure how true their claims really were.. I mean, sure.. Jared lost sooooooooo many pounds by eating just Subway and documentaries like 'Supersize Me' show the problems of eating unhealthy fast food.. But just how can we be so sure that what Subway say, is the whole picture... I present to you what I came up with... The information presented here is taken from Subway and Burger King.

I always have a Veggie Footlong on Parmesan Oregano with pepperjack cheese, with both Chipotle and Sweet Onion sauces. Here is the nutrion info. on the same.

Parmesan Oregano Bread: 420 Calories/60 Cals from Fat/7 Gms of Fat/80 Gms of Carbs
Pepperjack Cheese (4 triangles) : 100 Calories/70 Cals from Fat/8 Gms of Fat/no carbs
Chipotle Sauce : 90 Calories/80 Cals from Fat/9 Gms of Fat/2 Gms of Carbs
Sweet Onion Sauce: 40 Cals/none from Fat

Total: 660 Calories/210 Cals from Fat/24 Gms of Fat/82 Gms of Carbs

Comparing it with what I like to eat at BK (BK Veggie and Medium Fries).

BK Veggie: 290 Calories/60 Cals from Fat/7 Gms of Fat/44 Gms of Carbs
Medium Fries: 360 Calories/160 Cals from Fat/18 Gms of Fat/46 Gms of Carbs

Total: 650 Calories/220 Cals from Fat/25 Gms of Fat/90 Gms of Carbs

How about that?? If you guys think that this is something to do with the veggie you could try comparing the ever favourite (Anya's for sure) Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki footlong with a BK Chicken Whopper+Fries. You'd find the results pretty alarming.

The way we (and I think most people) have our subs, they arent much better than having a BK or McD's. I'd really like to ask Jared about these figures.. Wouldnt you? I mean... are we really making the right choice here?

|