In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

'Friday Night Lights' shines....

We went for the movie 'Friday Night Lights' on Sunday... This is certainly not gonna be one of those comprehensive reviews that ones reads elsewhere. My way of judging how good or bad a movie is, is very simple. For me, if I can sit there for the length of the movie, and it completely absorbs me... If the movie doesnt let me think of anything else besides what is happening on screen. If the movie makes it through my short attention span.. Then I believe that the movie is good... And this one folks.. is really really good.

The movie is about a high school football team from a small town called Odessa in West Texas and how they stand up to the challenges of playing without their best player and living up to the hugest of huge expectations of an entire town. The movie is based on a true story converted into a book written by H.G. Bissinger. Billy Bob Thronton gives an awesome performance as the coach of the Permian Panthers team. Other notable performances include Lucas Black (the Quaterback of the team) , Garrett Hedlund (son of a local football legend) and Tim McGraw (the father of the afore mentioned).

There's this one dialouge in the movie that got stuck in my head... Its when the coach is giving his team a pep talk in the half time of the final game (where they're getting mauled badly)... He says

"Being perfect is not about winning or losing... Its about being able to look your friends in the eye and know you didn't let them down.......forever is about to happen. Can you live in that moment as best you can, with clear eyes, with love and joy in your heart? If you can do that, then you're perfect."

I am kinda biased towards movies based on sporting stories... especially the football (the american kind, where almost no foot is involved ;)) movies... Names like, 'Remember the Titans' , 'Varsity Blues' and 'Rudy' readily come to mind.. Now I can add this one to the list as well :)

Speaking of football, how about them Vikings eh :) .... Yeah I know, its too early to blow the trumpet (since we started 6-0 last season and yet didnt make the playoffs) but yeah the offense is playing damn good.... Well I'll just keep my fingers crossed... Will we see some playoff action this time? Watch this space....

|