In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Next time you dont understand Science go ask the nearest holy dude!

I was having a nice little discussion with this person in my office about how little we know of the laws of nature... Yeah I know... A little deep for me :).. Neways... I was very very surprised to hear him talk the way he did.. He was right about the fact that we have very very limited knowledge of the universe, science and how it works.. But he went on to argue that there are certain people (for example a rishi meditating in the himalayas) who understand how things work much better than any of our great minds.. He claimed that people who can lay on a bed of nails understand the laws of physics a lot better than any present or past physicists... He went on to say that there are some magicians (I WAS LIKE WAT!!) who can actually pass through walls and that its not an optical illusion.. His argument was that the human race as a whole has a very limited field of vision (metaphorically).... and that we refuse to acknowledge anything that is paranormal when it might be in the realms of science... The science that we dont know..

I was completely flabbergasted by the views of this person who is an IIT Delhi product... Ok.. I agree, we dont have that much knowledge about the universe as such.. and no, we cant travel at light speed or jump into hyperspace (though that would be soooo fucking cool)... We have not achieved particle transference beams or time machines or any of those cool things that science fiction movies/books make us believe we can/will... But the thought that people-whose ultimate aim in life is to meditate so as to achieve a "higher" sense of reality - have better knowledge of how exactly does the universe works is just outright crazy.. The thing that made me extremely agitated/sad and a little angry was that these were the views of a person who spent 4 fucking years in one of the most prestigious science institutions of our country.. He might be an aberration, but still... There are instances of such weirdly outrageous views all around us... A double M.Sc. (Maths and Bioinformatics) who thinks that fasting on Tuesdays and Thursdays will make his life completely amazing (gave the same suggestion to me.. I said in my head, "yeah fucking right man!!")... An amazingly qualified woman who believes that an astrologer predicts her life absolutely perfectly... and these certainly arent aberrations... Rather this most certainly seems like the norm.. Maybe I am overreacting.... After all, when a whole country can come to stop because we believe that idols of Lord Ganesha have suddenly started consuming milk, then what more can be said...

my lyrics for today:

I don't need to fall at your feet
Just 'cause you cut me to the bone
And I won't miss the way that you kiss me
We were never carved in stone
If I don't listen to the talk of the town
Then maybe I can fool myself..

I'll get over you.. I know I will
I'll pretend my ship's not sinking
And I'll tell myself I'm over you
'cause I'm the king of wishful thinking
I am the king of wishful thinking

I refuse to give in to my blues
That's not how it's going to be
And I deny the tears in my eyes
I don't want to let you see.. no
That you have made a hole in my heart
And now I've got to fool myself..

I'll get over you.. I know I will
I'll pretend my ship's not sinking
And I'll tell myself I'm over you
'cause I'm the king of wishful thinking..
I'll get over you.. I know I will
I'll pretend my ship's not sinking
And I'll tell myself I'm over you
'cause I'm the king of wishful thinking

I will never, never shed a tear for you
I'll get over you

If I don't listen to the talk of the town
Then maybe I can fool myself..

Go West : King of Wishful Thinking (From the O.S.T. of Pretty Woman.. Heard it for the first time, on radio some 10 years ago.. Have loved this one ever since.. For a chick flick, this movie had some awesome music :))

|